Welcome to "Healing Grief Around the Sacred Wheel" - a course for empowering those finding it difficult to move forward in life due to past or present pain of grief and loss. My name is Cheryl Downey and I am your leader, guide and companion through
this week of safe, gentle yet potentially deep and powerful grief-healing meditations and experiences.
I have supported those who are grieving life changes from illness, dying, and death to loss of home, family, career or community for over 35
years as a hospital, hospice and palliative care chaplain. Since 1985 I have also trained, practiced, and mentored spiritual healing and sacred arts from within shamanic teachings that are rooted in the ancient power of Woman and the Earth. After retiring
from hospice work, I founded Sacred Wheel Center for Grief and Healing to empower those suffering with past or present loss to find healing and release through exploring the deeper life-giving mysteries of their grief. Since 2014 my work has included private
sessions, classes and workshops in the Twin Cities (MN) area, and grief-healing retreats in Florida, Minnesota, Colorado and at Ghost Ranch.
I have been attending training events and painting workshops at Ghost Ranch since 2003 - sometimes staying
twice a year! I fell in love with the warmth of the ranch staff and the light, colors and power of the land and sky!! To this day there is nowhere I would rather come to reconnect with my inner self, and with the power of the Earth, to let go,
heal and regenerate my spirit - alone or with others. Spirit speaks in all ways at Ghost Ranch - it is the perfect place to heal the pain of grief!
This course is entitled "Healing Grief Around the Sacred Wheel" for many reasons. The Sacred Wheel and
the powers of the four directions are ancient and profound tools for deepening self-awareness and bringing healing balance to the flow of life energies. Movement around the Wheel honors each one's uniqueness of culture, personality, and faith perspective;
and is a powerful non-judgmental guide for exploring and understanding one's personal energies of grief - whether old or young, experiencing current or past loss, or anticipating future life transitions. The Wheel is meant to move - and so is grief! - and
both will do so at the pace that is right for each of us. There is no right or wrong way to do this, as there is no right or wrong way to grieve.
The course will bring participants into the four major healing aspects of their own grief experience by
spending a day in each direction: South (Physical/Earth); West (Emotional/Dreaming/Water); North (Spirit/Air/Wind); East (Mind/Fire) ending in the Center (Heart). Group teachings, reflections and guided visualizations will fill the mornings 9:00 - noon, followed
by personal free time/ work on the land after lunch until dinner (5:30 - 6:30). We will do our West work by traveling to Lake Abiquiu and Rio Chama for a morning field trip with the additional possibility of going to the hot springs of Ojo Caliente for the
afternoon (there is a $25 individual day use fee for each participant to enter the hot springs).
Participants will gather for evening sessions from 7-8:30 pm for circle-sharing and artwork. Throughout the week participants will be creating their
personal sacred art ongoing, including a small pouch to be decorated in a sacred way each day to hold symbols of release gathered from the work. The pouches with their sacred contents will be given away - released - to the Sacred Fire on the New Moon. Additionally,
each participant with instruction will create their "Grief Shield" from illuminating insights into their strengths and awarenesses of their own inner movement around the wheel received through the week. The Grief Shield will hold the power of their experience
and its healing wisdom when back at home.
This year the retreat is fortunate to pass through "the thinning of the veils" - a traditional sacred time of connecting with those who are in Spirit - November 1 and 2, Dios de los Santos (All-Saints
Day) and Dios de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) respectively. Ghost Ranch is planning celebratory events those days that are free to all participants.
No pre-requisite knowledge or preparation is necessary for this work. Participants may be any age (18+)
having experienced any loss(es) - including loss of a loved one through death or illness, loss of relationship through break-up or divorce, home, job, career, health, community - and need only to be willing to start the journey around the Sacred Wheel!
What participants may gain from this course:
- The discovery of the four directional aspects around the Sacred Wheel and the grief energies held within each of them
- An understanding that grief is not something
to be cured but simply accepted and allowed as healing movement
- An awakening to energy we get from the earth to help us feel and heal the ways we hold grief in our bodies
- An experience of the power of water for grief movement and release
- Empowerment of personal spirit connections and healing wisdom through inner conversation, ceremony, listening to the wind, prayer, dreams, meditation and journaling
- Discovery of ways to shift negative and constricting thoughts about grief
- The power of sacred art for healing and wisdom-keeping
- The blessings of love and gratitude!
What to bring:
- comfortable clothing for layering and warm socks for both indoor and outdoor work
comfortable hiking or walking shoes - covered toes
- umbrella/rain gear/warm jacket/light gloves for walking in potentially cool or inclement weather
- sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, insect repellant, small carrying pack,
refillable water container for being out on the land
- blanket, mat or cushion for meditating, indoors and outdoors
- notebook, journal, pens
- several sharpie fine-point markers - various inspiring colors
watercolors (check children's aisles in stores)
- pad of 12 X 16 watercolor paper (at least 10 sheets)
- 1 1-inch wide paintbrush
- large garbage bag for space protection and place to dry paintings and protect them on journey home
- object of personal remembrance or memento for the group altar, such as photo, jewelry, handkerchief, coin, etc - to return home with you
- a personal sacred symbol/inspirational object for the group altar, such as a special stone or crystal, feather,
fetish, bowl etc - will return home with you
- sleeping bag for extra warmth, if staying in the dorms (optional)
Course will supply:
- basic cutouts and string
for grief shield
- fabric paint and other decorative supplies
- glue and glue guns
COST FOR 5 NIGHTS LODGING*, 3 MEALS/DAY AND TUITION
SUNDAY AFTERNOON 3 PM OCTOBER 31 - FRIDAY MORNING 10 AM NOVEMBER
$625 - Lodging and meals are additional. After signing up and paying tuition, you will
receive a follow up email with lodging options and instructions to complete registration.
Private Bath – $745 ($149 per night)
(2) rooms/One (1) shared bath joins the two sleeping rooms – $1,120 ($224 per night)
Dorm/Communal Bath – $400 ($80 a night)
– without Electricity – $160 ($32 per night)
– with Electricity or Full Hook-Up
– $225 ($45 per night)
MEAL RATES – ONE PACKAGE PER ADULT
$170 per person (includes dinner on arrival date through breakfast on departure
$122 Commuters meal plan that includes lunches and dinners.
*All registrations are single occupancy. If lodging is shared, the primary registrant is responsible to Ghost Ranch for full payment of room. Roommate is responsible to
the primary registrant only for their portion.
If you have questions about lodging or meals, or if you want to register, go to ghostranch.org or call Stephen Picha 505-280-1860 for more details. If you
have questions about the course itself, contact me by phone: 612-272-3977 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I honor you for having the courage to follow your heart to this healing time together! I am excited to meet you!
my heart to yours ~
Cheryl L. Downey,
Shamanic Grief Practitioner/Minister of Sacred Arts
Sacred Wheel Center for Grief & Healing/
Sacred Wheel Center, Inc. (2016)
605 E. 153rd Street
Burnsville, MN. 55306
Sacred Wheel Center for Grief and Healing - Facebook